HTML and Markdown are two popular markup languages used for creating web content. While HTML is used for creating structured and interactive web pages, Markdown is a simple syntax used for formatting text. Converting HTML to Markdown can be useful for bloggers, content creators, and developers who want to switch from HTML to Markdown for various reasons. In this article, we will explore how to convert HTML to Markdown with Java using REST API.
The following topics shall be covered in this article:
- Java Library to Convert HTML to Markdown - SDK Installation
- How to Convert HTML to Markdown via Java using REST API
Java Library to Convert HTML to Markdown - SDK Installation
GroupDocs.Conversion Cloud SDK for Java is a powerful conversion tool that helps developers convert HTML to Markdown in Java applications. It provides easy-to-use, fast, and high-quality conversion that makes it an ideal choice for converting HTML to Markdown. It also allows you to convert your documents and images of any supported file format to any format you need. You can quickly convert more than 50 types of files and images like Word, PDF, PowerPoint, Excel, HTML, CAD, raster images, etc.
You can either download the API’s JAR file or install it using Maven by adding the following repository and dependency into your project’s pom.xml file:
<repository> <id>groupdocs-artifact-repository</id> <name>GroupDocs Artifact Repository</name> <url>https://repository.groupdocs.cloud/repo</url> </repository>
<dependency> <groupId>com.groupdocs</groupId <artifactId>groupdocs-conversion-cloud</artifactId> <version>22.10</version> <scope>compile</scope> </dependency>
To get started, you need to sign up for a GroupDocs account. Collect Client ID and Client Secret from the dashboard before you start following the steps and available code snippets. Please enter the code shown below once you have your Client ID and Secret:
How to Convert HTML to Markdown via Java using REST API
Here is a step-by-step guide for converting HTML to Markdown in Java using GroupDocs.Conversion Cloud API:
Upload the File
Firstly, upload the HTML document to the cloud storage using the code snippet given below:
As a result, the uploaded HTML file will be available in the files section of your dashboard on the cloud.
Convert HTML to Markdown via Java
This section shows how to convert an HTML to a Markdown file programmatically in Java by following the steps below:
- Firstly, import the required classes into your Java file.
- Secondly, create an instance of ConvertApi class.
- Thirdly, create an instance of the ConvertSettings class.
- Then, provide the cloud storage name.
- Next, set the input HTML file path and the output file format to “md”.
- Then, set convert options and the output file path using ConvertSettings instance.
- After that, create a ConvertDocumentRequest class instance and pass settings parameter.
- Lastly, call the convertDocument() method and pass ConvertDocumentRequest parameter.
The following code snippet shows how to convert an HTML file to a Markdown file via Java using REST API:
Download the Converted File
The above code snippet will convert the HTML file in the source folder on the cloud storage to a Markdown file. You can download it using the following code snippet:
Free Online HTML to Markdown Converter
How to convert HTML files to Markdown online for free? Please try the online HTML to Markdown converter to create Markdown from HTML online for free. This converter is developed using the above-mentioned HTML to Markdown REST API.
Let’s end this article here. In this article, you have learned:
- how to change the HTML page to Markdown programmatically in Java;
- programmatically upload the HTML file to the cloud and then download the converted Markdown file from the cloud;
- and convert HTML to Markdown online for free using HTML to Markdown converter tool.
Moreover, we also provide an API Reference section that lets you visualize and communicate with our APIs directly through the browser. Java SDK complete source code is freely available on the Github. Please check the GroupDocs.Conversion Cloud SDK for Java Examples here.
Additionally, we suggest you follow our Getting Started guide for detailed steps and API usage.
Finally, we keep writing new blog articles on different file formats and conversions using REST API. So, please get in touch for the latest updates.
Ask a question
For any queries/discussions about HTML to Markdown Converter API, please feel free to contact us on the free support forum.
How do I convert HTML files to Markdown using Java?
Please follow this link to learn the Java code sample for how to convert HTML to Markdown files, fast and easily.
Is GroupDocs.Conversion Cloud API secure for converting HTML to Markdown?
Yes, GroupDocs.Conversion Cloud API is secure for converting HTML to Markdown. All the conversions are processed on GroupDocs’ secure servers, and the files are deleted within 24 hours of the conversion process is completed.
How to convert HTML to Markdown online for free?
Online HTML document to Markdown file converter allows you to convert HTML to Markdown files quickly and easily. Please follow the step-by-step instructions given below to perform the conversion:
- Open online free HTML to Markdown converter.
- Click inside the file drop area to upload the HTML file or drag & drop the HTML file.
- Click on the Convert Now button. Free online HTML to Markdown converter will change HTML to Markdown.
- The download link of the output Markdown file will be available instantly after converting the HTML to a Markdown document for free.
How to convert HTML to Markdown on Windows?
Please visit this link to download HTML to Markdown converter offline for Windows. This HTML to Markdown converter free download software can be used to export HTML to Markdown on Windows quickly, with a single click.
We recommend you visit the following articles to learn about:
- Convert HTML to JPG Images in Java using REST API
- Convert EXCEL to JSON and JSON to EXCEL in Python
- How to Convert CSV to JSON and JSON to CSV in Python
- Convert XML to CSV and CSV to XML in Python
- Convert Word Documents to PDF using REST API in Python
- How to Convert PDF to Excel in Python using REST API
- Convert PDF to Editable Word Document with Python SDK
- How to Convert PDF to PPTX using a REST API in Python
- Convert Word to Markdown and Markdown to Word in Python
- How to Convert PDF to PPT or PPTX using Java
- Convert PNG to SVG File Programmatically in Java