PDF or Portable Document Format is a popular format for sharing documents, but it can be difficult to work with PDFs when it comes to editing or extracting text. This is where you need to convert PDF documents to text files. Converting PDFs to text files can make the text more accessible, editable, and searchable. In this blog post, we will be introducing how to convert PDF to text file programmatically in Java using REST API.
The following topics will be covered in this tutorial:
- Java PDF into Text Conversion REST API and SDK Installation
- How to Convert PDF Document to TXT File in Java using REST API
Java PDF into Text Conversion REST API - SDK Installation
For converting PDF documents into text files, I will be using the GroupDocs.Conversion Cloud SDK for Java. It is a platform-independent REST API solution for document and image conversion without depending on any 3rd-party software. It also allows you to convert 50+ types of documents and images of any supported file format to any format you need. You can quickly convert documents from one format to another like Word, PDF, PowerPoint, Excel, HTML, CAD, raster images, etc.
You can download the API’s JAR file or install using Maven configurations. Add repository and dependency to your project’s POM.xml file. Below are the instructions for Maven:
<repository> <id>groupdocs-artifact-repository</id> <name>GroupDocs Artifact Repository</name> <url>https://repository.groupdocs.cloud/repo</url> </repository>
<dependency> <groupId>com.groupdocs</groupId <artifactId>groupdocs-conversion-cloud</artifactId> <version>22.10</version> <scope>compile</scope> </dependency>
After integrating the GroupDocs.Conversion Cloud SDK into your Java project, Sign up for an account. Collect your Client ID and Client Secret from the dashboard before you start following the steps and available code examples. Also, it’s important to check the API documentation and usage limits before using it. Please enter the code shown below once you have your ID and secret:
How to Convert PDF Document to TXT File in Java using REST API
The following are the steps to convert a PDF to a text document as mentioned below:
Upload the File
Firstly, upload the PDF document to the cloud storage using the code snippet as given below:
As a result, the uploaded PDF file will be available in the files section of your dashboard on the cloud.
Convert PDF into Text Format in Java
This section is about how to convert a PDF document to a text file programmatically in Java by following the steps below:
- Firstly, create an instance of ConvertApi class.
- Secondly, create an instance of the ConvertSettings class.
- Next, provide the cloud storage name.
- Set the input PDF file path and output file format as “txt”.
- Then, create an instance of the TxtConvertOptions class.
- Optionally, set various convert options like setFromPage, setPagesCount, etc.
- Now, set convert options and the output file path using ConvertSettings instance.
- After that, create ConvertDocumentRequest class instance and pass ConvertSettings parameter.
- Finally, call the convert_document() method and pass ConvertDocumentRequest parameter.
The following code snippet shows how to convert PDF file to text file in Java using REST API:
Download the Converted File
The above code sample will save the converted text file to the cloud. You can download it using the following code snippet:
Free Online PDF to Text Converter
How to convert PDF to text files online for free? Please try an online PDF to text converter to create a text file from a PDF document for free. This converter is developed using the above-mentioned PDF into text format API.
This brings us to the end of this blog post. The following is what you have learned from this article:
- how to programmatically convert PDFs to text files in Java using GroupDocs.Conversion Cloud REST API;
- programmatically upload the PDF file to the cloud and then download the converted text file from the cloud;
- and online convert PDF to text using a free PDF text converter.
Additionally, GroupDocs.Conversion Cloud REST API is an easy-to-use and powerful tool for converting PDFs to text files in Java. It also provide an API Reference section that lets you visualize and communicate with our APIs directly through the browser. Java SDK’s complete source code is freely available on Github. Please check the GroupDocs.Conversion Cloud SDK for Java Examples here.
Moreover, we encourage you to refer to our Getting Started guide.
Finally, we keep writing new blog articles on different file formats conversions using REST API. So, please get in touch for regular updates.
Ask a question
For any queries about PDF to text converter, please feel free to contact us on the free support forum.
How do I set up GroupDocs.Conversion Cloud REST API in Java?
Can I convert multiple PDF documents to text files at once?
Yes, you can convert multiple PDFs to text files at once using GroupDocs.Conversion Cloud REST API by passing in an array of file paths or URLs.
Can I convert password-protected PDF to text files?
Yes, you can convert password-protected PDFs to text files using GroupDocs.Conversion Cloud REST API by passing in the password as a parameter in the API request.
How to convert PDF to text online for free?
Online PDF document to text converter allows you to convert PDF to text for free. Please follow the step-by-step instructions given below for conversion:
- Open free PDF to text file converter online
- Click inside the file drop area to upload a PDF file or drag & drop a PDF file.
- Click on the Convert Now button, free online PDF to text converter will transform the PDF to a text file.
- The download link of the output text file will be available instantly after converting the PDF file to text.
What is the best way to convert a PDF to a text file in Java?
The best way to convert a PDF to a text file in Java is to use a library or API specifically designed for this purpose, such as GroupDocs.Conversion Cloud REST API.
How to convert PDF to text on Windows?
Please visit this link to download an offline PDF to text file converter for Windows. This PDF document to text file converter can be used to convert PDF into text on Windows quickly, with a single click.
If you want to learn about related topics we recommend you visit the following articles:
- Convert EXCEL to JSON and JSON to EXCEL in Python
- How to Convert CSV to JSON and JSON to CSV in Python
- MSG and EML files Conversion to PDF using Python Conversion API
- Convert Word Documents to PDF using REST API in Python
- How to Convert PDF to Excel in Python using REST API
- Convert PDF to Editable Word Document with Python SDK
- How to Convert PDF to PPTX using a REST API in Python
- Convert Word to Markdown and Markdown to Word in Python
- Convert PDF File to PNG and PNG to PDF Format using Java
- How to Convert PowerPoint PPT PPTX to HTML using Java